Friday, February 6, 2009

Wednesday, February 4th

I have heard that the Solvang Century is hilly, it's a 4,500' climb over the course of the 100 miles and is rated as "difficult/extremely difficult". So, I have been thinking that I need to get in some serious hills. Jamie and I discovered a trail a few weeks back that dumps out at the bottom of Mt Baldy Rd and it looked like a really great place for cycling. The signs even tell you to watch out for cyclists, maybe they'll jump out and attack your car or something-but I digress. So, I had it in my mind to go ride Mt Baldy. I asked my wonderful husband to follow me in the car and he sweetly obliged and we drove to the base of Mt Baldy. As I was getting my bike out and looking up at the mountain I was hit with the sudden realization "I can't do this, am I insane? Like I'm going to bike up that!". But, I am also very stubborn and thus determined that I was at least going to make it up a little ways. So, I started out and at first it was great, the switchbacks provided much needed relief on the flattish parts and occasionally the scenery was lovely.
But then I hit a stretch of about 2 miles of relentless uphill climbing where every doubt I've had about doing the century slammed and buffeted me as I made my way up, up, oh man there's more, up the mountain. I realized that I was not going to make it all the way to Baldy Village before J needed to be at work and so set a point ahead where I would turn around. To add to my discouragement was the exceptionally slow passing of mileage on my bike computer. When I finally reached the point I had decided on, I had only gone 5.68 miles!! AAAHHHHH! Boy was I discouraged!
But, incredible hubsand was so encouraging and pointed out that I had just climbed around 2,000-2,500' in 5 1/2 miles and that the century will be a climb of 4,500' over the course of 100 miles. And, on the way back down the hill in the car it was nice to see how really steep and long the hill I had just climbed is!
So, today was challenging physically and emotionally, but rewarding too.
Oh yeah, and the theory that pulling Logan in the trailer is comparable to hills; total rubbish!!

Totals
Bike 5.68 miles
Be reminded yet again what a wonderful man I'm married to! Thank you Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment