Friday, February 6, 2009

Thursday, February 5th

The weatherpersons have been warning us that a storm is a comin' so I made sure to get up nice and early so that I could get out there and put in a nice long ride before the rains began. Mom was here to teach the boys today so I finally managed to get out of the house around 10 and headed up into Hunter's Ridge. My Baldy experience left me with the certainty that I need to work on hills not mountains. Hunter's Ridge provides a good amount of hills as you meander around through all the neighborhoods and occasional bike lanes. It was in Hunter's Ridge that I began to develop, in my mind, the idea for some type of strong, sharp thing that you would attach to your handlebars protruding out on both sides about a foot or so. If a car comes within a foot of you, it will be like their car has just been keyed. Or, if their window is open and they're in a sports car, it'll poke their eye out. I developed this product in my mind during the course of my ride (giving it a lot more serious consideration at several points along the way) especially focusing on the legality of such a product. I determined that law enforcement would probably frown on such a product but that bike cops would applaud my wonderful invention. The only downside I can see to my "Back off Jerk!" invention is the possible skewering of other cyclists you pass or who try to pass you. Sorry, I yelled "On your left!"wink wink!
It's hard on a long ride to be alone, even the fat girl in my head gave up and went to sleep after a while. But, I also enjoy the freedom of going wherever and at whatever pace I want to go. I was reminded again of why I love cycling so much!

Totals:
Bike 40.62 miles
Invent "Back off Jerk" idiot driver repellent

No comments:

Post a Comment